Saturday 21 July 2012

Toast Cafe, Surry Hills & Gelato Messina, Darlinghurst


After failing to have breakfast at Cafe Ish (now I know that its closed :( ), we walked pass this cafe and was tempted by its interior and the crowd of customers.


Toast Cafe has a garden-like decor, with twirls of plants and wooden dining tables and chairs. Service was good, but the cappuccino that I had wasn't too great. 
Spanish chorizo omelette w caramelised onion,
oven roasted tomatoes, grana padano & parsley w toast  $16.90? 
This was on their Specials Menu. A thousand apologies for forgetting what the exact price of the dish was. I thought the chorizo was on the burnt side so it was slightly tough and wasn't that pleasant to eat. But on the bright side, all the other components of the dish was good. The omelette was incredibly fluffy, with fillings in it that were tasty and well-cooked.

Sweet corn and kaffir lime fritters $16.90 
The name of this dish caught my eye from the long list of items on their menu because adding kaffir lime leaves into corn fritters is such a brilliant idea! If only the fritters had more seasoning (as I thought it tasted rather bland and had to add some salt myself), it would be the perfect corn fritter dish. It's served with a perfectly cooked poached egg with an oozing egg yolk, grilled haloumi cheese, tomato salsa, and a good handful of rocket on top of corn fritters with a hint of kaffir lime. This dish is gluten free, which explains why the fritters were more dense than the normal corn fritters. But hey, this breakfast dish would make any coeliac (and perhaps most non-coeliacs) happy!

Pistachio and Honey, apple and ginger cake Ice Cream  
After breakfast, we strolled down to Gelato Messina for a cold and melting, sweet and creamy, treat! There's nothing wrong with having an awesome ice cream like this....once (or twice) a week. I did try to share this with JC, but I think I gobbled down most of it :p The pistachio ice cream I believe is an all time favourite. Honey, apple and ginger cake ice cream was on the Specials board that day. It had real chunks of cake in it, talking about texture. My only dislike was that it was slightly too sweet for my liking. So far, Ice and Slice in Newtown and Gelato Messina are my go to places for ice cream. Tell me what's your favourite place for ice cream and I might give it a try! :)

Messina's signature wall. Where's Wally?

I Scream Heaven

Toast Cafe on Urbanspoon Gelato Messina Darlinghurst on Urbanspoon

No comments:

Post a Comment